Pages

Wednesday 21 October 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog about the world of archaeology and related topics – everything from the preservation of heritage around the world to the story of looted artefacts to interesting new museum exhibitions (and anything else that takes my fancy).

My studies focused on the worlds of Classical Greece and Rome, and fascinating it was too, but my travels have also shown there are a lot of equally fascinating, non-Western artistic traditions out there. Looking at one tradition through the lens of another can be distorting; being aware of this can make it easier to study a particular tradition on its own merits. It isn't always possible to do this, of course, or at least not completely. Shrugging off the preconceptions of one's own culture is no easy task.

I am currently studying World Arts and Artefacts, a course run jointly by Birkbeck College, (University of London) and the British Museum. It looks like it's going to be an interesting experience, and I will endeavour to keep this blog updated with the themes and ideas of the course.



No comments:

Post a Comment